14 December 2011

Structured development time and to do list

I saw this blog post on linkedin there and I can see how a number of the things mentioned in the article hinder productivity. In particular multi tasking. Multi-tasking is bullshit.

I'm going to list out a number of different things I'd like to get done tonight and tomorrow night. These will be small steps of implementation which will lead me towards completing the integration of the new database schema and hopefully it will get put me on time for release on Sunday night. Also, I'm going to try and code in blocks of an hour at a time, then go do something else for a bit, and come back. I always thought it was a good idea to go and take a break, which usually consisted of a cigarette break in college, and by the time I came back to my computer I would practically have the problem solved. When you look at something after taking a break, sometimes the solution just jumps out at you and it appears so obvious that you feel embarrassed you had a problem with it in the first place. I can definitely see structuring my time like this benefiting my development.

  • Add method to database adapter for getting all cars as a list of cars, similar to the way transactions are retrieved.
  • Add view for displaying cars in cars tab.
  • Add method of adding, editing and deleting cars.
  • Add session data so that app can store which car is selected. To be used for adding relating car to transactions.
  • Fix transactions so that only those for the car that's selected for the session are displayed.

If I get half of these done tonight I'll be doing well. I'll try get a mix of the more complex and more simple ones done tonight, and do the same again tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment