26 February 2012

Perl

I started reading reading a great book on Perl this morning in an effort to teach myself Perl to be more productive at work. Perl seems like a great tool that could be useful for automating a lot things that I do on a regular basis. I write a lot of Java stuff for parsing text but it seems like Perl is definitely a better tool for that job.

I'm about half way through the book "Beginning Perl". Having stacks and lists built in to it's core and focusing on what operators are used to use relevant data types based on it's context is great. A day's reading and I think I've got enough to understand a lot of what I'm going to need perl for. I'll be moving on to sub-routines, object orientated programming with Perl, regular expressions and then I'd like to cover some system programming with perl. Standard I/O and network programming will also be useful.

Going to be doing a lot more this evening after the France and Scotland match.

No comments:

Post a Comment